Coconut Shell Based Activated Carbon
Activated carbon manufactured from coconut shell is considered superior to those obtained from other sources mainly because of small micro-pores to meso-pores and due to its unique distribution of pore diameter, coconut shell activated carbons are very popular in the gas phase purification and potable water purification industries.Our Activated carbon products are made from selected shells of coconut to ensure the highest quality during the manufacturing process. By maintaining high quality control standards, the customer is able to achieve high adsorption of their molecular impurities.
Adsorptive CharacteristicsSurface area (BET N2):- measurement, using nitrogen (N2), of the extent of the pore surface developed within the matrix of the activated carbon. Used as a primary indicator of the activity level, based on the principle that the greater the surface area, the higher the number of adsorptive sites available.
Pore size distribution:-determination of the pore size distribution of an activated carbon is an extremely useful way of understanding the performance characteristics of the material. The International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry (IUPAC) define the pore size distribution as:
- Micropores r < 1nm
- Mesopores r 1-25nm
- Macropores r > 25nm
Iodine number:-measurement of the porosity of an activated carbon by adsorption of iodine from solution.
Carbon tetrachloride activity:- measurement of the porosity of an activated carbon is being tested by the adsorption of saturated carbon tetrachloride vapour.
Why Buy Our Activated Carbon
- High hardness levels and low dust levels. This improves material handling characteristics and is especially important where carbon fines cannot be tolerated.
- High surface area, up to 1400 m2/g. This allows for long life and high adsorption capacity.
- High retentivity, preventing unwanted desorption of adsorbed species.
- Large fraction of micropores (< 20 Angstroms). This is important for removal of low-molecular-weight organics and for removal of trace levels of contaminant
- Low ash and fewer impurities
Application of Activated Carbon
- It is used in effluent treatment plant to reduce BOD / COD/ color from industrial waste water.
- It removes chlorine and organic impurities from drinking water in the last stage filtration in our common house hold filters.
- It is used as adsorbent of poisonous gases in gas masks for industrial as well as defence purposes.
- To adsorb moisture from compressed air in paint shops.
- To dechlorination of waters in swimming pool and soft drink plant.
- To remove oil from hot condensate.
- Top quality granular activated carbons are used in the process of gold recovery in which the molten ore is passed over a bed of activated carbon where the gold is adsorbed on the carbon and recovered.
- Used to manufacture catalyst.
- Removal of dissolved organic impurities.
- Breweries and distilleries.
- Catalyst carrier in petroleum refineries.